RE: [OM] OT Happy news, a new member to the family !!! :)

Subject: RE: [OM] OT Happy news, a new member to the family !!! :)
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:57:15 +0200
Hi Rich,

> You just can't beat a labrador retriever.

I normally don't mind the race of a dog a lot, for me the most important
thing is that a dog is friendly and is a great companion. That excludes
several races for me, and it puts some other races, as well as the dogs that
are not pure breed, in favour. The Labrador Retriever has definitely always
been a hot favouite of mine though. I think they're one of the prettiest
dogs too (when judging the physical appearance, for me it might only be
second to the Siberian Husky like dogs that have bright blue eyes), so I'm
very happy to have one now. :)

> At the highland games this weekend, I saw a chocolate lab that was a dead
ringer for my
> lab, "Chocolate Chip" (aka "Chip").  I got tears in my eyes wondering,
"Could it
> be him?".  My ex talked me into giving that dog away.  I will NEVER give
another lab
> away.  EVER.  Magnificent dog.  Loyal unto death.

Gioka's father is a chocolate lab, her mother is a black one. Chocolate labs
are rather rare over here and they are indeed quite pretty too. The nest
Gioka came from also had several chocolate labs, yet they were about $100
more expensive than the black ones, and as my favourite color is black, the
choice was easily made...;) Regarding giving a dog away: that would be one
of my worst fears too, I don't think I could ever part with her. I'm sorry
to hear that that happened to you, but if Gioka ever becomes a mother I
might send you a surprise parcel...;)

> I envy you, Olaf.  Let her be in the house with you.  You won't be sorry.

She is. Over here the climate would be too cold to have her outside anyway.
I do intend to give the dog a treatment which is a lot better than typically
is the case in Venezuela; Gioconda and Karol still have to get used a bit to
the idea of having a dog in the house (instead of outside), but they too
agree that over here it would be impossible to have it outside. :)

> When she gets to be about a year old, put a bird wing under her nose and
> watch how she reacts.  It will crack you up.  Kind of amazing.

Hmm, I'll try to remember that. Is that when they assume the "stick
position" (that's what I call it anyway), where they seem to instantly
freeze and lift one paw?

> P.S.  Good series of books for dog raising/training: "Gun Dog", Water
Dog",
> etc.  Forget the author's name.  You don't have to be a hunter to raise a
> great dog from this series of books.  I highly recommend them.  It's
obvious
> he loves dogs.

I bought some general dog books, and I do intend to look for a Lab specific
book. I'll try to track down the books you mentioned, thanks!

> P.P.S.  Be sure to get her a parvo virus vaccination, if she hasn't had it
yet.

Yep, it was an all-in package, so she's had the necessary vaccinations :)

Cheers!
Olafo