Re: [OM] Filter brands and types

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter brands and types
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:57:36 -0700
It's hard to tell exactly what I'm looking at there. If that's haze (low clouds, light fog) present in the far center I'd have probably tried it with a polarizer and then without to check the relative effect. In any event, what I think I see there is more reflection (or refraction) of light off (through) water vapor than flare. The photographer might also want to try a magenta or red filter on that subject, maybe even an ND grad to bring out the foreground a bit more.

I don't know. My night work is in evolution and I've a lot to learn about color. My photojournalistic time was spent snapping off Tri-X in daylight for half-tones more than anything else. I bought a fairly recent volume written by Lee Frost entitled Night & Low-light Photography that looks interesting. I'm going take this along with me to read and study, and we'll see what comes of it. Not sure I want to lug a tripod all the way to Europe and back, though, so I might only have a steady stand for night work while I'm in Spain, assuming my ex allows me the use of hers. Then again I might just break down and take my own as I'm passing through London on the way back for a few days. I'm sure I'll want to get out and about there with my gear at night.

The thing is, Volkhart, I'm but a student of photography, and I'm the first to admit it. My guess is once I knew it all I'd just walk away. I enjoy having questions before me; answers ring too loudly of finality.

Tris

At 05:00 PM 7/17/01 +0200, you wrote:
Yo,

on Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:15:29 -0700, Tris Schuler wrote:

>I'll be able to check that thoroughly again this summer during semana
>grande in Donisti, where they hold an international fireworks competition
>the entire week. I think you're wrong (within my experience). Certainly
>hope so.

You are, of course, entitled to learn from your own mistakes, but you might
have a look at the following anyway:

        http://www.translators.de/gallery/reflect.jpg

This is a test shot I did because I suspected the very effect the picture
shows. OM-2, 85 mm f2 set to f8, Minette tripod, exposure time approx. 1
min. The odd reflections in the middle of the construction crane's arm and
below were caused by a Sky 1A Filter. Only this picture and 2 or 3 others
that I took with the filter on show this phenomenon; all the others on this
roll of film (same subject, w/o filter) are fine.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx