Re: [OM] OM-10 -- keeps on sticking?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 -- keeps on sticking?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:31:48 -0700
Dan M. asks:

<< Is this [oil on the OM-10 shutter magnet] just going to keep on
happening until I replace it? >>

One repairman I use claims that half of all magnet cleanings he has done
in his career came back within a year for a second cleaning.  Clint told
us that Olympus America had to disassemble these and clean all the
shutter oil off the gears. A magnet cleaning won't get to the root
cause: oil used as gear lubricant.  You probably have an early OM-10
with too much shutter oil.  Best to give it a rest, I'd say.  This has
got to be a BER (Beyond Economic Repair), given the current market value
of about $60 for a body in any usuable condition.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV