Re: [OM] Filter brands and types

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter brands and types
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:34:51 -0700
Another couple of points.

I use my Sky Lights to protect my lens face proper, plus they help with overall picture quality (warmth) in daylight situations. In my opinion these filters are nobrainers for just walking around town. To set up and dedicate a shoot solely to fireworks I doubt I'd be down on the beach, and if I were my shots would be with very fast color film (800 Supra I imagine) and hand-held. In the actual event I think I'll set up my gear (assuming I've a tripod) on my hotel balcony which overlooks the beach area,where the fireworks display will be displayed for the crowd, and so be able to do without the Sky Light altogether in that situation. I don't put extra glass in front of my lens for no reason at all!

The other thing is you didn't mention what kind of Sky Light you used for that picture. I still have a couple of Tiffen Sky 1-A's lying around in case I should need them, but I use the TMC (multicoated) variety these days, which might well have a better effect for these kinds of possible glare situations. Again, I don't know as I haven't tried fireworks shots for some time, and not at all with TMC Sky Lights.

Another point is that even at night I almost always shoot with a hood. This just might catch a few unwanted light sources from outside the subject area, especially at longer exposure times.

Tris

At 05:00 PM 7/17/01 +0200, you wrote:
Yo,

on Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:15:29 -0700, Tris Schuler wrote:

>I'll be able to check that thoroughly again this summer during semana
>grande in Donisti, where they hold an international fireworks competition
>the entire week. I think you're wrong (within my experience). Certainly
>hope so.

You are, of course, entitled to learn from your own mistakes, but you might
have a look at the following anyway:

        http://www.translators.de/gallery/reflect.jpg

This is a test shot I did because I suspected the very effect the picture
shows. OM-2, 85 mm f2 set to f8, Minette tripod, exposure time approx. 1
min. The odd reflections in the middle of the construction crane's arm and
below were caused by a Sky 1A Filter. Only this picture and 2 or 3 others
that I took with the filter on show this phenomenon; all the others on this
roll of film (same subject, w/o filter) are fine.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx