Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?
From: Michael Zimmet <mzimmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:02:58 -0400
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:28:28 -0400, while the Pattern and Ghostwheel
were battling it out in Rebma, "Daniel J. Mitchell"
<DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A short course on OM bodies and how they compare to your OM-10:
>
> OM-1/OM-1n: all -mechanical, extremely rugged. The first OM (and
> the last OM operating on the planet will probably be an OM-1n).

Only fair to add that while the last OM operating on the planet will
probably be an OM-1n, this model does take batteries of a sort which
are no longer readily available. Yes, the camera will operate
without batteries, but the meter won't. And yes, there are certainly
ways around the battery problem, but it is an issue worth noting.

> OM-2/OM-2n - similar construction to the OM-1. Adds aperture priority
> exposure and TTL flash

Is the OM-2 really that similar in construction to the OM-1 in terms
of internal construction? Granted, externally they're very similar,
but I've heard that internally they differ quite a bit. But perhaps
I've been misinformed on this point.

> OM-2S/OM-2SP - similar in construction to the OM-4. Adds programmed
> auto exposure and spot metering in manual mode to the features of
> the OM-2(n).

I've heard that this model is more prone to problems than are the
OM-1, 2 (non-S/SP), 3, or 4 models. Which isn't to suggest that it's
a piece of junk, of course. Just that some examples of this model
have "issues."

But I cannot say from personal experience whether there's much truth
to these reports.

> If you ask me, assuming a fairly limited budget, I'd look for a
> decent OM-2n.

I recently bought my first OM, and it was an OM-1n. But this was
mostly due to the fact that I got a really good deal on a really
nice OM-1n. I tend to agree with your suggestion of the OM-2n, and I
expect to pick one up before long. (I'm not in urgent need of an
OM-2n, so I can afford to wait for just the right one to come
along.)