Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacing an OM-10 -- with what?
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:14:04 EDT
 On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:55:30 -0600 "Daniel J. Mitchell"
  <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

  >  What would people recommend as a replacement? It's easy enough to find
  > other used OM-10 bodies around here, but while I'm replacing things I'm
  > tempted to look at upgrading it to something newer/improved.

Paul gave you a good short course in the single digits.  Within my budget
(ha!) I've settled on OM1n, OM-2n, and OM-2S as the best of the available
single-digit bodies.  When I have the $$, I'd like to add an OM-4T/Ti.  And,
of course, if I win the Lotto, an OM-3Ti.

I started with the OM-1MD.  Love it, still.  Just added an OM-1n to get its
improvements (mainly flash ready indicator in viewfinder).

You should be able to pick up a decent OM-1n for $125 to $175; an OM-2n for
$150 to $200; an OM-2S for $175 to $225.  Just my best guesses.  Others might
be able to provide more "educated" estimates.

BTW, the OM-2S has a built-in all metal flash shoe, a great improvement over
the flimsy, plastic shoe 4 used on the OM-1n and OM-2n (their only minus, in
my book).  And of course it has spot metering in manual mode, and then
aperture priority, and program modes.  And is one pretty black body.  It's
big minus?  Replacement printed circuit boards are all but non-existant.

Figure to add a Cris Cam 1.5V battery conversion kit (the 1.35V mercury
battery is no longer legal in the U.S.) and a new Shoe 4 ($30) to an OM-1n.
A new Shoe 4 to an OM-2n.  And maybe new foam, and CLA...  but what a camera
you'll have, no matter which you choose.

Rich