Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:11:46 -0700
Well Andrew,

In the United States the bee or wasp is much more likely to kill than a poisonous snake, and even a dog kills humans more often than a snake.

BTW, I recently found a black spider under my pump cover that had the hour glass on the front of the abdomen as well as two red dots on the back of the abdomen. There were also goldish yellow lines radiating from one red spot like whiskers. It was actually quite pretty in a bizarre sort of way. I caught it and had it in a jar, but before I could get around to photographing it, it dehydrated and died.

Gregg

Andrew Fildes wrote:

>The Funnel web spider. Makes our black widow and brown recluse look
>like amateurs.
>
>Jerry Liles
Nasty bugger, very aggressive but doesn't kill too many, especially
since an anti-venene was developed. We have a close relative of the
black widow - the redback, which was only moderately unpleasant
(notorious for hiding under outdoor toilet seats) but there's some
evidence that they have cross bred with black widow tourists down at
the docks and the hybrids are now significantly unpleasant.