Re: [OM] How to cure 90mm f2 envy

Subject: Re: [OM] How to cure 90mm f2 envy
From: "O.C" <oben@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:17:30 +1000

And another few observations about the 100 vs 90 f2:

The 100mm has a focussing action that is much more suited to use at normal distances. The 90 always bothered me for use for normal subjects in that the 3 meter to infinity portion of the helicoid action is so short. The 100mm predictably is more like other lenses and longer. Therefore it is beautifully positive to focus for distant subjects.

Both the lenses I got were new... the serial number of the 90 mm - 11296x and of the 100 mm - 10818x. The 100mm on this limited evidence would be the rarer lens (at least based on Australian imports).

My advice. If you really need a macro lens; go for a 50mm f3.5. If you envy the 90mm for its other 'magic' then do yourself a favour and get the 100mm f2... it truly is an entrancing Zuiko.

Oben