Re: [OM] Filter brands and types

Subject: Re: [OM] Filter brands and types
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:20:56 +0200
Yo,

on Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:57:36 -0700, Tris Schuler wrote:

>It's hard to tell exactly what I'm looking at there. If that's haze (low
>clouds, light fog) present in the far center I'd have probably tried it
>with a polarizer and then without to check the relative effect.

It's smoke from the fireworks. I like this just fine as part of the picture,
as it's part of the subject.

> In any
>event, what I think I see there is more reflection (or refraction) of light
>off (through) water vapor than flare.

That's not what I meant. About in the middle of the crane's arms you can
distincly see "mirror images" of the flight paths of the fireworks above.
These were caused by the (I have to correct myself here after checking) Hama
UV filter which was on the lens for this shot. That I had the lens hood on,
too, goes without saying.

>I use my Sky Lights to protect my lens face proper,

So do I, with partly Skylights and partly UVs.

>plus they help with
>overall picture quality (warmth) in daylight situations.

I've found they're usually unnecessary for this, except near the ocean or in
the mountains.

> In my opinion
>these filters are nobrainers for just walking around town.

I agree. But, as said before, I've learned to take them off before critical
shots, especially long time available darkness exposures (which often tend
to have a few highlights in them which, in conjunction with filters, cause
the type of mirror images which can be seen in my sample picture).

>dedicate a shoot solely to fireworks I doubt I'd be down on the beach, and
>if I were my shots would be with very fast color film (800 Supra I imagine)
>and hand-held.

Depends on what kind of fireworks it is. For New Year's Eve fireworks (like
in the sample shot), which are not launched from a fixed spot or area but
rather consist of everybody shooting up their rockets at midnight all
around, it's impossible to predict where they're going to show. So, IMHO, it
is a better strategy in this case to frame your shot on the desired
background and then make a long time exposure during which some rockets are
bound to fly into the frame. Slow film (like 100) is better for this, and
also tends to be less prone to reciprocity effects than faster material, so
from a certain length of exposure on it can actually be more sensitive than
a higher ISO film.

> In the actual event I think I'll set up my gear (assuming
>I've a tripod) on my hotel balcony which overlooks the beach area,where the
>fireworks display will be displayed for the crowd,

Incidentally, the shot you looked at was taken from a hotelroom balcony,
too.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--