Re: [OM] NiCds in M18V Control Gip 1

Subject: Re: [OM] NiCds in M18V Control Gip 1
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:04:53 +0200
Hi Wayne.

Your grip will do fine with rechargeable cells. I would prefer modern
NiMH over old fashioned NiCd though - the currents running are small
enough to do so...

The grips do contain a lot of electronics. I know because I have
modified one with the same purpose in mind as you have.
I wanted to charge the cells when sitting IN the grip, rather than
taking them out and put them in different chargers. This proved to be
difficult, but in the end I managed: I can recharge the cells in the
grip with the NiCad charger 1 intended for the Olympus MD NiCad packs.
Charge time for my 1200mAh cells is about 40 hours though.... 10 times
as long as with the 125 mAh cells in the NiCad pack.
I don't remember the precise modification I made, I am afraid, it's
been at least three years ago.... :-(

I don't think there is much (or even any?) difference between the 1-
and 2-type grips.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.