Re: [OM] "Forming" the capacitors in OM flashes?

Subject: Re: [OM] "Forming" the capacitors in OM flashes?
From: Chris Charlton <c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 06:20:42 +0100 (BST)
 --- Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > At
09:55 PM 7/18/2001 -0500, Curt Hedman wrote:
> >Hello, all ---
> >
> >Once again, a technical question. Does the
> capacitor in T32 and/or T20 flashes need to be
> 'formed' after a period of no use? How best can said
> forming be done?

Thinking back to my electronic engineering course at
uni, electrolytic caps need to be conditioned before
use to work when new, they do degrade with time,
rather quickly, if I remember they exhibit more
leakage and a lower overall "power" capacity. If you
weren't afraid of opening up your flash guns, very
high quality audio grade capacitors are available that
would give a more consistent output and last longer,
they also have less leakage which means while your
flash is charged but idle, it will consume less
battery power. Have a look for:-

Elna Cerafine/Silmic
Sanyo caps

There are other types but these are the ones I
remember off the top of my head. Look under
professional audio grade caps and suppliers.

Chris