Re: [OM] i guess most have seen this...

Subject: Re: [OM] i guess most have seen this...
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 01:27:13 -0700
One thing I've never done (knockonwood) is break a lens. I've had close calls, but not from my dropping one or a camera it was attached to but from swinging objects carried by others in gymnasiums and along football fields and such while I was working. I could have sworn I'd lost one or two along the way, but no, they always seemed to work afterward. (Good thing, too, as these lenses were usually mine, and believe me I was never paid royally. <g>)

Your 28mm f2.8 is easily replaceable. Why sweat it? You could buy a used one cheaper than to fix the one you have, even assuming you got the rear lens element for a song--which itself is a pipe dream.

I'm happy to report that my order for a dozen Energizer 357 batteries from Twin City Supply arrived the other day, right on time with superior documentation (they threw a copy of my cc ticket in with everything else) and a polite note which beckoned me to shop there again. Now at $.58 apiece, even with shipping the grand total stopped shy of eight bucks. And yet they wish to see me again.

I guess they will at that.

        http://store.watchsupply.com/

Tris

At 11:19 PM 7/18/01 -0700, you wrote:
on 7/18/01 1:28 PM, gries at gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It's appalling the way some people treat equip.  I hope this is going to
> a good list member home.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1254634209&r=0&t=
> 0&showTutorial=0&ed=995488748&indexURL=0&rd=1

Yup. I'll let you know how it looks once I actually see it...

Appears to me that someone dropped the lens and it landed right where you'd
expect. I called Olympus USA, and the front element is "no longer
available".

Can some of the overseas Olympus brotherhood check with the 'local office'
to see if there is a front element 'on the shelf' in the parts depot? Cost
(within reason...) isn't really a factor. If anyone can locate one, I'll
gladly buy a six-pack of your favorite beverage as a finder's fee!

I'm hoping that the 50-250 will be worth most of what I paid, with the OM-4
body (if it truly needs only a lever on the rewind knob) making up the rest.
Then if I can fix the 24 shift it will be an interesting thing to try out...
I'll shoot some through it anyway to see if anything comes out.

A sort-of-related question: Long ago I dropped a 24/2.8 while trying to
change lenses standing up. It landed perfectly to shatter the rear element,
I think only the very rear one. This element too is "no longer available"
from Olympus. Anybody have a dead 24/2.8 with a complete rear element?
Actually, according to the esif diagram there are two elements in close
proximity, so they both might be broken, I've never pulled out the pieces to
check.

I guess I'm trying to be a resurrection man for 24 Olympus lenses!
--

Jim Brokaw