Re: [OM] 2X-A and Zuiko surgery

Subject: Re: [OM] 2X-A and Zuiko surgery
From: Walt Wayman <HIWAYMAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:38:44 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>The protuberances are present on the 28/2.8 and other wide angles I have
owned that have a protruding or convex rear element. I think they are as
p.j notes to protect the rear element and they prevent mounting of the
wides on the 2xA. The 50's have them also.

At 08:29 AM Friday 20/07/2001, you wrote:
>I always thought the 'protuberances' were to protect the rear element if
>someone rests the lens front element up.  If the rear element does not
stick
>out that far at any setting (check focusing at infinity or close-focused),
>then they may be there to protect the aperture coupling tabs (newer
>design?).
>
>...just a thought
>--p.j.

Dr. Oben O. Candemir MBBS Syd Uni.
<

The mystery remains.  Yes, all three of my 50mm Zuikos, 1.4, 1.8 and 3.5
Macro, have similar ?ears? or ?horns,? something I had not noticed before,
probably since I had never tried to mate them with the 2X-A.  However, my
35/2 attaches to it without a hitch, though I can?t imagine why anyone
would want to do that.  My 28 is a Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8, so it doesn?t
count, although it will attach too.  The 21/2 doesn?t have the same type
protuberances, but has a different impediment that keeps it from being
attached to the 2X-A, again not that anyone would really think of it.
Curiously, the 65-116 auto extension tube hooks up perfectly.

If these things are intended to protect the rear element, it?s a lot longer
than it needs to be on the 65-200 because the rear element doesn?t protrude
under any circumstances, so shortening the horns won?t matter.  If these
things are to prevent the use of certain lenses with the 2X-A, then I guess
Olympus is saying some lenses, the ones listed on the converter, are ideal
to use with it, others are okay if they fit, but they won?t say as much,
and some are so unsuitable they?ve made it physically impossible to attach
them.  I don?t buy that either.

I just don?t know, and I?m still trying to decide whether to grind or not
to grind.  I don?t see how it could hurt anything.  Even if the results are
total crap with the 2X-A, the lens will still be as usable afterwards as it
is now.  Besides, it?s almost my least-used lens, right after the 500/8 and
those doughnut-shaped highlights I hate.

Walt Wayman