Re: [OM] i guess most have seen this...

Subject: Re: [OM] i guess most have seen this...
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:36:45 -0700
on 7/19/01 5:45 AM, O.C at oben@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Appears to me that someone dropped the lens and it landed right where you'd
>> expect. I called Olympus USA, and the front element is "no longer
>> available".
>
> Jim,
>
> Would you mind posting some photos you take with the 24mm shift... my
> suspicion is that it probably wont affect picture quality as much as you
> might think. It doesn't seem to involve the centre of the lens so you may
> be in for a surprise.
>
> Oben

That was my thinking also. First, the image circle of the shift lens is much
larger than a normal 24mm, so perhaps whatever effect is created will be
outside the negative area, at least at some shift movements. I may have a
shift lens that only shifts right... like a car that only turns left.

My second thought is that smudges or fingerprints seem to manifest as a zone
of fuzziness or lesser sharpness, so depending on the subject that may be
relatively less noticable. Perhaps if the scratches are of similar effect it
will be acceptable (for the price).

And of course I can always hope to track down a replacement front element. A
few minutes with my channelocks and a screwdriver and I'm all set!  <joke,
really!>. If I find a front element John H. will probably see this lens in
person...
--

Jim Brokaw