Re: [OM] Aperture Modification

Subject: Re: [OM] Aperture Modification
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:09:59 +1000
Hold yer horses there son! Very small apertures also have a problem - is it
diffussion or diffraction? Anyway, the opposite of the image degradation
cause you get wide open. There was a very nice article on the
www.photodo.com site explaining it. You'll get great DOF but some softness
with most lenses, as with pinhole cameras. I have a Voigtlander 15mm/4.5 on
my Leica which is best at 5.6-8. going down to 11 is not recommended on
that lens, never mind 22.
A lot may depend on the individual lens, but I read somewhere recently that
an aperture size of under 4mm is problematic.
One of the old Polaroid rollfim cameras had an f90 setting - a small hole
in the flip-up metal lenscap. You set a wide aperture and shot with the cap
closed! Worth a try?
AndrewF