Re: [OM] silver nose (not related to Rudolph)

Subject: Re: [OM] silver nose (not related to Rudolph)
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:01:36 -0400
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:14:14 -0500 "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes>
> They are the oldest formulations, in most case SC.  The exception is
the
> fast/wides (21/2,24/2,28/2, don't know about the 35/2).  They were
always
> MC.  Interestingly, some of the fast wides were MC at the beginning,
but not
> marked MC.  As Olympus started releasing MC lenses, they ADDED the MC
on the
> filter ring of some of the lenses that were always MC.  Then, when all
the
> lenses were MC, they took MC back off (hope I have that right).

According to the coating list, the 21/2 was marked MC at least as early
as s/n 1003xx. Surprisingly this one is listed as a black nose lens.

The earliest 24/2 on the coating list is s/n 1011xx and marked MC.
Interstingly, this is listed as black nose as well, but 24/2's with s/n
of 1012xx, 1026xx and 1027xx are listed as silver nosed.

The 28/2's start at s/n 1095xx which is marked MC and black nosed. There
are no chrome nosed 28/2s listed.

A single chrome-nosed 35/2 is listed, with a s/n of 1068xx. Theres an
earlier one, s/n 1019xx that is listed as black nosed... hmmm..

One theory I have is that since a lot of people leave protective filters
on their lenses there are probably a number of chrome nosed lenses out
there that people think are really black nosed. When I bought my
chrome-nosed 24/2, which had a UV filter mounted on it, it was months
until I realized it wasn't a black nosed lens!

Paul Schings