Re: [OM] image warmth

Subject: Re: [OM] image warmth
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:16:15 +0000
At 17:36 7/21/01, you wrote:
I recently took some flash pictures with the following rig: OM4T, 35-105 Zuiko, T32 on BG-2 suspended above with a Stroboframe. I used Fuji portrait 160 and Kodak Supra 400. With the 160 I shot at f5.6 to 8, and with the 400 I used 8 - 11. I noticed that the Kodak was quite noticably warmer. I don't know whether to attribute this all to the film or possibly to the flash at different output. I was at a Luau and have a shot from each roll of the same colorful food table indoors to compare. Both rolls were processed on Fuji processors. The Fuji looks very well balanced, while the Kodak looks almost as warm as an evening sun.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mickey

Mickey,
These are both color negative films and the color balancing for printing could be confounding assessment of image warmth. Basic balancing for printing on a machine also requires the operator to choose the correct channel, which may differ between Portrait 160 and Supra (I don't know, but it's likely). If they don't have a channel for one or the other already in the machine, they may have just picked one and run with it! Also, what was the lighting (tungseten incandescent??) and were there any open flames in the images or providing significant ambient lighting? You might need to ask the lab some questions about how they printed the negatives.

-- John