Re: [OM] trip to PacNW

Subject: Re: [OM] trip to PacNW
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:18:58 EDT
In a message dated 7/21/01 2:48:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time, NSURIT@xxxxxxx
writes:

> This is the land of the midnight sun isn't it?

Hi, Bill.  Not quite that far north... that would be Fairbanks, AK, and such.

You won't  be able to see much rain forest in a couple hours.  I'm not real
familiar with the peninsula, but between the summer tourist traffic and the
distances involved, it would be a challenge to get there, see much, and get
back without spending the better part of one whole day of daylight, at least.
 There may be a drive you could make from Olympia or some jump off point such
as that, but still, to my knowledge, the rain forest proper is a couple hour
drive away.  From Seattle, forget it (in terms of time).... the ferry wait
and trip alone will consume a couple hours or more this time of year.

My recommendation for downtown/Belltown/Space Needle area would be to forget
driving as much as possible and walk or jump on the buses for the free zone.
First Avenue has buses running both north and south from the Space
Needle/City Center down thru Belltown to Pike Place Market and even Pioneer
Square, both worth seeing.

My trip into and around downtown on Friday morning/afternoon was an ordeal.
Something like 6000 dentists in town.  Traffic has gotten brutal, 7 days a
week.
Park (if you can) and walk, walk, walk, and/or ride the bus.

Rich