Re: [OM] eBay 50mm f1.2 BIN

Subject: Re: [OM] eBay 50mm f1.2 BIN
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:09:38 -0700
I tried to determine some cause and effect on the cyclic 50mm f/1.2
prices in 2000.  As per the archives:
http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/archives/2000/msg04693.html
I posted some long delayed results of testing this lens on 17 Feb 2000.
Prices gradually decreased over the next 3 to 4 months, bottoming at
US$222 for a KEH=LN-.  Then someone sold a LN- example at $356 and
seller jumped on the bandwagon to take advantage of the coat-tail
effect. Prices gradually fell to their lowest levels ever in the first
four months of 2001.

Perhaps during the last 7 months, 1) sellers weren't willing to put
their lens on the market when the market appeared to be depressed and 2)
low final bid prices on unsuccessful auctions by dealers with high BIN
prices tends to make folks think the market is lower than it really is.

What I didn't realize when I first posted on this thread was that Tris
had just bought one BIN.  BIN sales are like comparing apples and
oranges - it is an entirely different venue and psychology than buying
in auction.  There are no prior BIN sales for a 50mm f/1.2 to even make
a comparison to.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV