[OM] More 357 trivia

Subject: [OM] More 357 trivia
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:23:51 EDT
Dear OMer's,
                    I have been dealing with battery vendors over a number of
issues for work and got a bit more information on 357 cells. Renata brand 357
cells are rated a bit higher than Energizer 357's, 190mAh versus 175mAh but
the self discharge rate is quoted as 100a. According to Everready their
cells self discharge at only 20a or less. Renata is going to get back to me
on the 10umber which seems unusually high.
If the 10umber is correct then the capacity is about the same as Energizer
after a year! (190-0.008*190 = 175mAh)   The rated mAh capacity is always a
little misleading since vendors often use slightly different test
conditions,temp load,end point voltage etc.

 If the cells really do self discharge that fast it really pays to store
Renata cells in the refrigerator. Also this is not good news for retail
buyers where the shelf age is unknown. Swiss Renata cells are commonly sold
through watch outlets as they are owned by Swatch.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes