Re: [OM] eBay 50mm f1.2 BIN

Subject: Re: [OM] eBay 50mm f1.2 BIN
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:36:58 -0700
I've used the 55mm f1.2 (it belonged to a friend and I borrowed it for about a month) and to be candid I found it be rather inferior, indeed, to the 50mm f1.8 I owned at that time. The 50mm f1.2 marked a distinct qualitative upgrade to the Zuiko series. (At least I believe the 55mm f1.2 predated the 50/1.2--anyone know for sure? Gary, you must.)

eBay prices are something of a crapshoot. For myself, I just pick a price ceiling and stick to it. I'm a recent entry to this venue and so no doubt have a lot to learn. I've been trying to cobble together a decent starter system for my daughter and so I've been somewhat more liberal than my nature would normally dictate price-wise. And I've paid for it in a few instances, like earlier this morning when some nitwit bid up the Hotshoe 4 from that shop in England from L18 to L31 or whatever it was.I need one of those for my daughter's OM-1n so I set an obscene ceiling which guaranteed I'd get it. This because I've gone through two 4's in succession, one from Woodmere that came with the screw stripped (he gave me full credit on it) and another from B&H that was cracked (even though it didn't say it was cracked, was listed as being in 8+ condition). Anyway, now I (hopefully) have a new one on the way and all's well.

If you can find a 50/1.2 that sells for $150 and it's in excellent (and by that I mean perfect glass and almost perfect action) condition then you're doing okay by yourself. Don't hold your breath, though.

Tris

At 01:45 PM 7/22/01 -0700, you wrote:
on 7/22/01 11:29 AM, Tris Schuler at tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hawaiian Camera Supply had offered this same lens a little back, for the
> same BIN and reserve (which I assume was set at $328) with no takers. Now I
> already have a nice one--paid a bit more for mine, as a matter of fact and
> am quite satisfied--so I though I'd pass the news along for anyone with
> interest on this list. Apparently there's little interest in this lens,
> something I find hard to understand, so the next day I shrugged and bought
> it for myself. It isn't that easy to use, but there's nothing wrong with
> the pictures it takes.
>
> Tris

There might be a little interest, but I didn't want to pay that much... I
saw the Hawaiian Camera lens the first time they put it out... I already
have a 55/1.2 (with a sluggish diaphram, needs fixing someday) but I
wouldn't mind the 50/1.2 also. The posted tests suggest that it is a better
lens, but my pictures wouldn't typically need the difference. I don't need
it $300+ more... I like Tom's prices a bit more. I lost an e*ay auction with
a poorly listed one went for $153.19, and I had bid $153.11... so I'm still
watching.
--

Jim Brokaw