Re: [OM] A 100mm f2

Subject: Re: [OM] A 100mm f2
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:56:38 +0200
Tris
A sincere thank you for sharing your discerning thoughts. It's nice to hear peoples views about the philosophy around photography.

Henrik

Tris wrote:
I don't think you're alone with these feelings re "better" gear. Fortunately, you're in a convenient product system with that concern in mind. Or at least at one time you would have been. Now it's a different story as Olympus seemingly winds down and completely out of the field of field emulsion and apparently couldn't care less. Sad, that, not only for Olympus camera owners but for the field of photography as a whole.

But listen: Zuiko lenses are the best around. Except for an exceptions here and there all of them rate right toward the top of the profession's charts, if not at the very top. For what they are--always keep that in mind, always keep in mind these are mere instruments in our hands employed toward the greater photographic purpose--Zuikos represent a kind of state of the art, on balance. And these modest-looking devices from Zuiko are not just good on paper--they happen to perform in the field as well as (and quite often better than) their counterparts which in many cases cost more--in some cases considerably more.

I'm not about to knock Leica/Zeiss product, for in its own way these German products, too, represent excellence. By the same token I will refuse to engage in the demented Nikon/Canon/Olympus dialogue/pissing match of comparative appreciation for all things photographic. It's all quite pointless. Instead, I'll try to move you happily to the bottom line: as the owner of an Olympus system you can walk around with a "humble" 50mm f1.8 screwed on to the front of your OM-1(whatever) and, given a keen eye and reasonable application, perceive, compose and render photographs as "professional" as you please, and I don't care what the next man has in his hands. And we haven't even begun to address the very practical questions of cartage to and from the field, and actual use in the field, at which juncture Olympus shows its heels to the competition and simply scampers away.

I'm not what I would consider to be an "expert" photographer, far from it in fact, so please do not take this as arrogant exposition of truth; I have, however, worked as a so-called professional (a photojournalist per se who earned his living from this in the field) and so I have learned one or two things (albeit the hard way) re pictures and the art and science these things spring from, and when it all boils down I just don't think there's a helluva lot of practical disparity between a normal 1.8 and 1.2 on the vast majority of occasions these lenses are used. Indeed, the "best" normal lens in the Olympus line for purposes of field work is probably not the 50/1.2 but (by reputation) the 1.4, and if not that lens then the 50/1.8 or either one of one of the 35mm lenses. (I haven't worked with the 35mm f2, by the way, so for all I know it could have special issues over and above its ability to capture and focus light. All I could afford out of school was the f2.8, and it's sweet enough for honest day-to-day work. Given my experience with the 50/f1.2 I wouldn't be at all surprised to find the 35/f2.8 to be a more practical take-along candidate than its faster f2 brother, but again, I don't know.

To digress, further, I don't think of the 35's as wide-angles lenses but rather as "normals." In that grouping, then, I'd have the Zuiko spread of 35mm through 55mm. Of course I might be the only man on our planet who holds that appreciation. Not to bore you, but in real-world use the 50mm renders a somewhat more restricted field of view than what a human being would see without a camera pressed tightly to his eye. The quaint 40mm f2 sits more or less squarely on that point of reference. So, when you think on it independently you might better visualize that a 35mm lens in actuality varies less to its directional side of this "normal" point of view than does the 55mm at the other extreme. For me, wide angles start with the 28mm Zuikos.

You should look at that as a sort of warm-up, or preface (by way of explanation) to my appreciation of the field and the Olympus system.

You write that your reference was to the 100/f2.8 vis-a-vis the f2. We're not on the same page here as I have never worked with the 100mm f2.8 and so it could be anything at all. That it works well for you surprises me not at all. It is a benchmark characteristic of the Zuiko series that no matter what (almost) a photographer chooses (or is forced) to take with him will afford stellar performance. As I noted earlier, the real limitation (call it cap) on photographic achievement lies less with equipment and more with the potential of the material (film) we have available to use in conjuncture with this equipment.

Yes, you should get the 100/2 if at all possible. For one thing it's an excellent lens, for another it's a different lens and so will (must) operate differently, and your use with it will provide you with more experience. But that doesn't mean it's gonna outperform what you already have. It might at that, but the 100/2.8 could have sweet spots the 2 can't touch, an old tradeoff.

You also mention weight and balance of the 2.8. How about its ease of focus? These considerations are not to be sneezed at.

Zuiko filter demands aren't that rugged. You're basically looking at two steps: 49/55mm collar sizes, so a 49mm-50mm step-up ring will serve yeoman's duty. Also, there is the alternative (actually it's more of a progressive or complimentary approach) of setting yourself up with a large modular, square-filter system. You have several ways to move with this in mind; the most cost-effective is offered by the Cokin X-Pro series. These quality filters run out to 130mm and will provide you will all the benefits of your present screw-ins, provided we only speak to tripod work, plus they afford you the ability to move one day into larger format work if you so desire, with no further upgrade required. For walking around, everyday use of your SLR you're stuck with screw-ins, though again, as you can set yourself up handsomely with a Zuiko lens complement that only requires to the two sized collars of 49mm/50mm it's not the end of the world.

For rest of it, yes, there's some envy in there at work when it comes to "faster" and "better" and all that. Just try to keep in mind that no matter what Zuiko (or Olympus camera body) you walk out there with the guy next to uses something not (on balance) as proficient, and quite likely paid more into the bargain. And if you've been paying attention you'll understand why this is God's truth. For those who cannot (or do not care to) see this distinction, less luck. But then that's just the way of life.

Finally, money is a factor, and the odds are for most hobbyists that the older they become the more able they will find themselves to indulge in this obsession of "more and better." But hell, photography is as worthwhile a pursuit as any, and you can't take it with you!

Tris