RE: [OM] Is my camera bugged...? #2511 long time ago.

Subject: RE: [OM] Is my camera bugged...? #2511 long time ago.
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:38:04 EDT
<< RE: [OM] Is my camera bugged...? >>

Dear Zuiks,

I just found a nice little webpage on this at:
http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/dustmite.htm

It's called:
'About lens cleaning biotechnology.... '

A quick quote from there:
<<
This isn't really an EOS issue, but it happened inside of an EOS lens.
Soon after I purchased a 200mm f/2.8 lens last year, it got a really large
white spec on one of the optical elements inside. This spec was quite a bit
larger than any other piece of fluff in any other lens I own. It was quite
disturbing but did not affect the beautiful pictures that this lens took.

Last week, I observed to my horror a dust mite crawling on this very same
optical surface.

It walked directly towards the spec, ate it, then walked out of site [sic]. I
watched it happen in amazement. The lens is pretty clean now except for a
single fiber which came from the internal baffle.

>Hey, but at least it doesn't have a dead bug in it!
>Mark H.

> I heard that the way to kill book mites is to wrap them in layers of
> plastic bags and put them in the fridge for 24 hours. The OM2Sp I had
> received two such treatments. Once in the lower section of the fridge. The
> little critters survived that. The second was more hostile and subjected
> them to 48 hours in the freezer. I saw no mites after that but the mirror
> came off two days later so I don't know whether the two events were
>related.
> Cheers
> Oben

>the emu sausages I had for lunch were
>fighting back. Then one of Oben's mites crawled across the screen. Never
>seen one before but, two days after he mentions them .... voila!
>Can you train them to eat fungus? [see above!]
>AndrewF

Well, it seems maybe so!

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/