Re: [OM] Paradoxical MD labelling on OM-2's

Subject: Re: [OM] Paradoxical MD labelling on OM-2's
From: johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:30:05 -0500
>Since I received the newest body to my collection (an exc+) OM-2n black I
>noticed it has a rectangular silver MD label in the usual spot like my old
>chrome OM-1. However my black OM-2 which is quite obviously older than the
>2n doesn't have one. I remember the MD was to indicate operation with MD
>was possible but thought that once all the bodies were MD capable that this
>tag was dropped. To see one on the 2n was a bit of a surprise. I forget
>whether my now sold chrome OM-2n had a MD label (I don't think so).

I think you might have it backward
Someone mentioned one time that the MD tag was as much for advertising as it
was to mark the camera (for functional purposes) as MD compatible.  My early
OM-2 (SN 1361XX) does not have an MD label.  My 2n (SN 8479XX) does, as does
my OM-1n (SN 1992XXX).  Therefore, I think it became fashionable and lasted
throughout the production of the 1(n)'s and 2(n)'s. (I also have OM-1n SN
2XXXXXX made in 86 that has an MD tag.)
On a different note, the MD tag showed up in progressively different form.
I think it was a sticker above the self-timer, then a square tag in the
normal place (didn't K Rhodes have one of these?...where is K. Rhodes,
BTW?), then the rectangular one that is the most common.  Do I have this
right, everyone?

HTH,
--p.j.