Re: [OM] 50 1.2 at Cameta

Subject: Re: [OM] 50 1.2 at Cameta
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:47:23 -0700
Well, this is why it helps to know your rights as a consumer before you enter into dealings with unknown vendors, especially when these vendors are out of the country.

Basically, in America consumers have a ton of leverage (assuming their complaint is legitimate) when they place purchases on any sort of credit card, and some credit cards offer better (call it "extended") protection than others. I've an American Express card (Corporate Platinum, which is listed in the name of my business) that I resort to if I've any doubts whatsoever about the vendor and/or product in question. I do this because I know from experience Amex will go to bat for me--if I'm in the right. Normally I just buy something on either my Platinum Visa or Master Charge and never give it a second thought. But then as a rule I only do business with known (established) vendors, or small shops I've had happy dealings with over time (Hawaiian Camera Supply, Woodmere Camera NY come to mind--both of these shops are run by quality people and serious photographers--as far as I know they don't let dubious equipment in the door to begin with).

I don't know the specifics of consumer laws in your country and how they might bear in this particular, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts your cc bank provider would have supported you on this to the hilt with 1) a simple phone call and 2) a letter in support of your complaint (along with any supporting documentation, say, a short estimate of repair from the Olympus tech w/explanation of problem, a facsimile of any email correspondence with Cameta Camera re the condition of the lens prior to purchase, etc.).

If any of that represents a "problem" to you then, of course, you're free to eat it. But please keep in mind that while you're free to act in this manner when it comes to your business, as a result you have only encouraged disreputable dealers to continue to act in this reprehensible (and probably fraudulent) manner down the road, and quite likely get away with it, if for no other reason due to ignorance on the part of the next consumer. So, in my opinion you'd be doing both yourself, the public and the photographic profession and hobby a medium-sized favor if the next time you run into this sort of problem you'd bother to follow through on it.

For my part, I am as of this second crossing Cameta Camera off my list. Before I delete it from my favorites folder I'll visit the site and give them a piece of mine, along with a cc of this letter to our Olympus list, so that there will be no doubt in their mind why they can not expect to do business with me. That may not strike you as much on the surface, but it's something, it's as much as I can do at the moment.

By the way: are you the gentleman who, a few weeks back, asked me about a possible trade (or at least temporary exchange) of your 21mm f2 for my 40mm f2? If so, let me know. I wouldn't mind having a 21mm in hand for vacation. I'll be in London on my return leg and I imagine a wider view than my 24mm would come in handy in a city crowded with large architectural structures.

To the list: I've a vendor who says he has a 21mm f3.5 in excellent+ condition except for an aperture which sticks" occasionally. He tells me he'd have this repaired and offer me six months warranty on the item if I pop. Two questions: first, anyone familiar with this sort of issue with a wide-angle lens? It's never come up with me. All of my gear performs flawlessly (knock on wood as always <g>); second, has anyone worked with the f3.5, and if so how does it perform? I've researched it as far as I might, to include, as always, Gary's invaluable site, but I'd like to know if it has any known faults or peculiarities.

Thanks.

Tris