[OM] opinions of short Olympus teles

Subject: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles
From: Michael Zimmet <mzimmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:19:03 -0400
I was wondering what people's opinions are of the Zuiko 135mm f/3.5.
It's not a terribly fast lens, I know, and speed does have its
place, but the lens is compact and extremely affordable, and those
are virtues, too.

I'd probably use it stopped down 2 or 3 stops (and focused right
around infinity), for various sorts of landscape work. And
occasionally wide open or nearly wide open (and focused fairly close
-- maybe 7-15 feet) for portraits.

It occurs to me that stopped down a bit, most lenses are pretty good
performers. But wide open is where quality tends to make itself
known.

Also, could someone tell me about the 85mm f/2 Zuiko? I've heard
virtually nothing about this lens, and it interests me quite a lot,
as fast to moderately fast 80-85mm lenses have long been among my
favorites in 35mm photography.

The 85mm f/2 would be used pretty much the same as the
aforementioned 135mm lens, although portraits would seldom be taken
wide open, as f/2.8-4 is about as shallow as I usually care to go,
in terms of depth of field. Still, the f/2 lens would probably make
focusing a snap, and even though I don't usually shoot at f/2 or
faster, it's nice to know the option's there.

Oh, one last question (and it has nothing to do with short teles) --
are there any hidden drawbacks to the use of one of those adapters
in an OM-1, that allow the camera to function normally with 1.5v
silver oxide batteries (instead of evil, 1.35v mercury batteries)?