Re: [OM] tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:37:09 -0700
I looked. For openers we're talking 8-10 pounds of weight per unit. That's a significant load in my book. I also saw nothing on that page re this product's actual quality of construction, or for that matter a guarantee--is there a guarantee? Further, I've spoken with no one re how these tripods set up, strike, perform with such and such gear and all that, which would naturally be of some importance. Do you have personal feedback to offer on those points?

I know Gitzo's work as I know Leitz tripods work. That's because I've used these myself. When it comes to travelling, on foot, where weight of the pack becomes critical, there just isn't any substitute for a Gitzo. I wish there were, I really do. If there were I'd be happy to pay half as much, or at least less, for the same utility that Gitzo affords. All you need to do is steer me in the right direction. I'll be first in line.

Someone said light tripods aren't so good with cameras on top of them. I agree that heavy and rigid is what's called for, and the heavier the top weight the more weight and rigidity that's called for underneath. No argument at all. I even went to the trouble to say that if other things were equal I'd go out there with a wooden device that weighed a metric ton. Then for sure I would know that my camera wouldn't sway much. But other things are rarely equal in the real world. Enter Gitzo stage right. There is a definite need for this equipment. Professionals don't lie about their needs in the field. That is why some photographers are willing to pay the freight on Gitzos. My experience is that most people with a modicum of sense do not happily pay more for less, in fact search far and wide for wise investments. It is my opinion that a Gitzo tripod is just such a wise investment.

I realize Gitzos may not fit everyone's budget or suit every man's tee. And your mileage does vary out there. However, I also made the point that instead of buying another lens or two that you're not gonna use a whole lot it might make better sense to sink that cash into a superior tripod system. A Gitzo setup is always superior, no matter what you buy.

Choice is yours, of course.

(And no, I do not own Gitzo stock. <g>)

Tris

In defense of my recommendation, and for the benefit of those unfamiliar
with the Cullmann line of tripods, I suggest a look:

http://www.rtsphoto.com/html/cullm4.html