Re: [OM] Film statistics

Subject: Re: [OM] Film statistics
From: Peter Leyssens <leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:19:23 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

> From: "Bill Stanke" <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> my advice to Bob and Tim
> would be to retire their current equipment and
> use the Nikon F5 and Nikon
> lenses.

If there'd be a Nobel prize for arrogance, this
would be a clear winner !  I have most expensive
wunderbrick, I be best photographer.  Ugh.

> Tolstoy said, " No school can evoke feelings in
> a man, and still less can it
> teach him how to manifest it in the one
> particular manner natural to him
> alone.  But the essence of art lies in these
> things."

I've been to art classes for several years,
including 1.5 years of photography.  I stopped
because I was travelling too much for my job.  I
could try and disagree with Tolstoy, of course,
but I'd rather re-think my feelings :-)  The
teacher I had for photography was really, really
good.  He wasn't the teacher-type of teacher but
the photographer-type with a passion and a
feeling of how to infect others.  He would give
advise on how to improve on a couple of
techniques, but in cases there was sufficient
material, it was up to your own taste to decide
which one would make it.  He would also insist on
doing handywork from time to time, making frames,
glueing boxes together etc. for the presentation
of the final results.

Best of all, his 5-year program started out with
a very strict regime of a new exercise every 3
weeks (to get the routine), and ended with a
full-year project where you were in complete
artistic control from start to end.  And that's
where the Tolstoy-message comes in, of course.
You're not being taught to follow the teacher,
but to follow yourself.  Shame I had to stop.

=====
--
Peter Leyssens  ---  leyssens@xxxxxxxxx
-- http://www.geocities.com/leyssens --