[OM] Let's be reasonable about viruses, okay?

Subject: [OM] Let's be reasonable about viruses, okay?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:07:24 -0600
At 11:32 AM 7/25/01 -0400, Christopher Tabby wrote:
WOW!! every 5 or 6 messages to the list is a virus. Wtach out for any attachments. This is a good to use a Mac.

People, *please* read the previous discussions on this topic. The List software strips *all* content out of attachments. They're all zero-length when they arrive on your computer. That means they're not executable and incapable of doing any damage, *regardless* of which software or hardware you use. They contain no code whatsoever. None. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Bugger-all. Not A Sausage. They just contain a header for the filename. I myself have received seven different zero-length attachments from the List within the last twelve hours. They're all "neutered."

That's the "beauty" (if I can put it that way) of getting the virus messages through the List -- damage isn't possible. Shawn's done a good job of setting up the List software, for which we all owe him a big "Thank You!"

Garth

P.S.: If you get such attachments from elsewhere than the Oly List, on the other hand, they're probably executable (if they're not zero-length, they're almost certain to be executable). Trash 'em, and empty your Recycle Bin after doing so.