Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:15:46 -0700
Skip:

The Unofficial Sales file indicates for the 90 mm f/2 macro:

"The exclusive Olympus focus aberration correction mechanism guarantees
first class picture sharpness all the way from minimum focus to
infinity."

The "characteristics" section for the 50 m f/3.5 is similar:

"Floating mechanism to compensate for close distance aberrations."

Is a "floating mechanism" different than a "floating element"?  I
thought all macro lenses had some kind of arrangement to compensate for
close-distance work, and "normal" lenses were corrected to have the
least amount of aberration when focused at infinity.  I always thought
the Olympus breakthrough was the design of macro lenses that were also
suitable for general photography, and not just close-up work.

Bill Stanke

"

Skip Williams wrote:

> Re the 85/2 and its design:
>
> http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html#tele says the 85/2 MC has the
> Floating Element correction.
>
> The eSIF at http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/lensgroup/85mmf2.htm says of
> the 85/2: "It incorporates a floating element group for the first time in
> the world for a telephoto, ensuring superior image quality even at close
> distances."
>
> An OM System Brochure from January 1987 lists the following lenses as having
> "automatic correction mechanism agains close distance abberations"
> 18/3,5
> 21/2,0
> 24/2,0
> 28/2,0
> 50/2 Macro
> 50/3.5 Macro
> 85/2
> 100/2,0
> (The 90/2 Macro is not listed as having this mechanism.)

<snip>