Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:24:29 -0700
Skip:

The Unofficial Sales file indicates for the 90 mm f/2 macro:

"The exclusive Olympus focus aberration correction mechanism guarantees
first class picture sharpness all the way from minimum focus to
infinity."

The "characteristics" section for the 50 m f/3.5 is similar:

"Floating mechanism to compensate for close distance aberrations."

Is a "floating mechanism" different than a "floating element"?  I
thought all macro lenses had some kind of arrangement to compensate for
close-distance work, and "normal" lenses were corrected to have the
least amount of aberration when focused at infinity.  I always thought
the Olympus breakthrough was the design of macro lenses that were also
suitable for general photography, and not just close-up work.

Bill Stanke

Bill,

That conflicts with the 1987 Olympus OM System brochure I have. The floating element designation is omitted from the 90/2 on the lens list and is also omitted in the lens description both in the telephoto section and in the macro section. That feature is included in the descriptions of the 50mm macro lenses , the 100/2. Even though designated as having the element on the list, the descriptions for the 21/2, 85/2 do not mention the floating element.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA