Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:30:53 +0000
At 18:56 7/25/01, Zbigniew Turon wrote:
and so on.....
and finally 85/2,0 is without floating element design.
I have serious doughts if 85/2,0 has ever had the mechanism,
it is quite simple and cheap lens like 35/2,0.

Best photos anyway,
Zbigniew Turon
(Zuiko 85/2,0 owner)

Could be the differences between the older 6/4 and newer 5/4 formulations. I have one of the newer ones. From looking at the lens and the data sheet (June '82 ??), the floating element appears to be the 3rd element (from front or back, doesn't matter) in the middle of the lens.

BTW #1
The 35/2 may not have a floating element, but it is an 8/7 retrofocus formulation, which isn't that simple; not compared to the 4/3 formulation of a Zeiss Tessar, or the newer 5/4 formulation of the Zeiss Sonnar. It's also more complex than the 7/6 construction of the 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.2 Zuiko standards. :-)

BTW #2
For those wondering about comparisons of manual TTL meter readings that don't match between different lenses, read the data sheets for the lenses and the focus screen you're using. There are some caveats in the "fine print" on the data sheets about certain combinations of body, focus screen and lens which can throw off manual metering, particularly with the OM-1[n] (not talking about using 2-series screens in the OM-1[n]/2[n] either).

-- John