Re: [OM] Silver Noses on the Silvernoses esp. the 16mm f/3.5 silvernose

Subject: Re: [OM] Silver Noses on the Silvernoses esp. the 16mm f/3.5 silvernose.
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:21:44 +0000
At 03:56 7/26/01, OC wrote:
John,

On your site you list your 35mm Shift as being MC. I must say I haven't been able to find an MC example of one. What is the serial number sans the last digits. I might hope that one day I will find one to buy.

Otherwise I think I'm going to have to fork out the money for a new example; maybe I'll go for the 24mm then.

Oben

Oben,
Nope, I need to correct my site, and thanks for reminding me. A discussion about the SC and MC versions of this lens prompted me to give it another thorough examination. It's an SC lens with purplish reflections.

The SC versions of the 35/2.8 Shift lenses are much more common compared to the MC ones. Since I discovered its SC status I haven't felt compelled to find an MC one even though I generally prefer them. It is in LN- condition cosmetically, has performed very well under a wide variety of lighting conditions, has not exhibited any distortion, and has perfect glass. The perfect glass and zero detectable distortion performance is more important to me than SC versus MC. Some examples reportedly exhibit slight barrel distortion. On those occasions I thought there might be distortion I found the error was mine with improper leveling when turned vertically. There is a learning curve to using these specialized lenses properly for architectural photographs. The only other SC I have is the 300mm and have not felt compelled to replace it with an MC either (for most of the same reasons: condition, distortion and performance with in difficult lighting).

-- John