Re: [OM] Virus Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Virus Advice
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:16:38 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Garth Wood wrote:

> At 05:44 PM 7/25/2001 -0400, John Pendley wrote:
>
> >> But don't you have to click open an attachment to get the virus started?
> >>
> >> John  Hermanson
> > That's always been my understanding, John.  To play it safe, I select from
> >the post before it to the one after and delete all three.  If one of the two
> >others is a must read, I just delete the suspicious one really fast {;>}.
> >I've flushed Annabelle maybe fifteen times today, but she keeps coming back
> >for more.
>
> While admirably cautious, this is totally unnecessary.  *You* must do
> something in order to start a Trojan's havoc.  The "social engineering"
> behind virii such as SirCam almost guarantee that some sucke...  er, hapless
> individual will double-click the attachment.
>
> Then the 'fun' starts.
>
> Garth

I was of the understanding that those poor individuals using
Micro$oft-supplied email-programs were suffering from the fact that said
program (as of factory default) would execute attachments when
opening the mail - without the user explicitly accessing the attachment?

Another good reason to stay away from the Evil Empire....

--thomas

(who's recieved about300 instances of the famous email by now...plus an
infinity of mails discussing the email...)