[OM] Re: Roger Key's quest for a Gitzo [Part 2]

Subject: [OM] Re: Roger Key's quest for a Gitzo [Part 2]
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 03:11:57 -0700

[cont'd]  2 of 2

Unfortunately, Robert White does not carry the Linhof ball heads and Stu knows of these articles only by reputation. A kind of pity, as I was dying to hear his gab. I once had a chance to work with a Linhof and that experience sold me on the quality of this product. But with none actually in the shop my conversation with Stu quickly turned to Gitzos, which Robert White does have on hand, and for 1 and 2 series tripods we agreed on two or three. First is the offset G1276, the second a Lilliputian (but outstanding performer--I know this as I happen to own one) center-ball offering, the G1175 (light, low profile and spins your gear as if inside a cloud), and finally the more robust G1377 center ball. All three of these heads are constructed from magnesium--think light The latter device captured my attention as Stu waxed on like a man who knows used cars and knows even better how to move these cars off the old lot. We talked of ball action, we talked of balance, we talked of holding power at acute angles and sufficient reserve for those occasions when telephotos and zooms struggle up to the peak of Mount Gitzo. Well, as a matter of fact Stu did most of the talking. I nodded my head intelligently and offered an occasional "Aha!" When I wasn't drooling, at least.

        I'm telling you, Stu's smooooth!

Bottom line is "we" agreed that the G1377 would be, on balance, a damned nice fit to the Explorer. The Explorer he knew (and had known for some time) that I wanted. Wanted desperately. I am not sure how he knew as I didn't know that yet myself.

        Say, Stu must be clever, too!

Long and the short of it is that Robert White sells this stuff for a lot less than B&H, which will come as no surprise to anyone by now. And as soon as B&H opens up in the morning I'm calling to get an RMA from customer service because my G1128's going back pronto! No way a company's going to gouge me to the tune of 1710f the going market rate, and if I have to send stuff back (I don't normally do this, believe me) and re-order from a shop halfway round the world to adjust matters then I will. For what it's worth, I called B&H earlier Wednesday and asked for an adjustment on my G1128, ordered and received last week. They simply refused to listen, stonewalled any reasonable discussion, flat out told me I didn't know what I was talking about. At last the buyer for B&H Photo told me to call back and get that RMA number because no way in the world he was going to budge on the B&H asking price for Gitzo product. And I found that somewhat strange. They'd rather have nothing at all than something on merchandise already out the door? Perhaps they imagine they'll clip me for the 15% restocking fee. If so they need to think again. I have the original packing materials and I know how to write coherent letters to explain my position if push comes to shove with the bank. We'll see. Either way I still don't get B&H's attitude.

Back on the telephone long-distance to the south coast of England with Stu, psychologically trussed like some pathetic Thanksgiving bird, I meekly passed over to this Albion shark my cc info and ordered the more expensive (and a bit heavier and longer, but not that much heavier and longer) G2228 with that odd-looking center column, along with the G1377. My only real regret is that Robert White didn't have the Arca Swiss ball head in stock I wanted. I would dearly love to use one of those. (And before I die I will. Promise. <g>)

Well, am I the fool? Maybe I am at that. At least I met an educated gentleman named Stu. My only "loss" appears to be that now I have an extra ball head I might not use again, though you never know. In terms of dollars and cents I'm way ahead of the game even with the extra shipping charges, and on top of all that I've struck a modest blow for consumers by sending the message to B&H that some people do watch prices, do want the best deal around, and will not for long stand for price discrepancies which defy the imagination and insult one's sense of credulity.

        Are we having fun yet? <g>

Meanwhile, Roger, do think seriously about a Gitzo tripod. They are the best going all around, hands down. Once you have one you have it for life. It will repay your investment with undaunting and superior service in the field. And, with a reasonable dealers such as Roger White in Poole, England to go to, the price for Gitzos stops well short of . . . the moon.

Tris