Re: [OM] Film statistics

Subject: Re: [OM] Film statistics
From: Peter Leyssens <leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
> From: William Green <wrgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Peter - could you give us some examples of the
> exercises he asked you to do?
> I for one would be very interested to read
> about the methods of a good
> photography teacher.

First thing we had to do when we started, was to
leave the school for shooting our first pictures.
 It was more or less assumed that we knew the
basics of diaphragm/DOF etc.  For the poor,
confused lady that didn't, he explained it
briefly :-)  Afterwards, all of us did the
shooting as well as film development outside of
the class hours, to maximize the time in the dark
room.  Anyway.

First assignment was to shoot pictures of quarter
circles and straight angles.  That was the only
moment I thought "Oh my God" :-)  What he didn't
tell us until after we developed the film, was
that the idea was to make a composition using
just one quarter circle and one of the straight
angles.  The kind of composition where you get a
line snaking it's way over the picture.  But
because he didn't mention this until after all
the work was done, it was actually a really good
exercise for "looking" for things you see.
Instead of seeing, e.g., a traffic sign, you see
a nice quarter circle :-)

The next assignment was comparable.  We had to
find "patterns" of any kind.  You got a carpet in
your living room ?  There you go.  Living next to
a brewery ?  Piles of barrels are quite
interesting !  I had fun always trying to stay on
the border of the concept he proposed.  For
example, I took grass and other plants that
weren't regular patterns at all, while the others
went for more generic stuff.  He didn't mind at
all, on the contrary, as long as it qualified
enough :-)

I don't remember the other assignments after
that, except for the obligatory pinhole camera,
from which I kept my nice 50mm/f512.  Another
thing I remember quite well is that I had quite a
dusty place for developing my films, and that I
had to do quite some retouching on the prints
using black ink & a very fine brush.  I actually
bought one of those retouching brushes for myself
after I stopped the course, because I found it so
useful.  I don't mind doing it, on the contrary,
it's calming :-)

BTW : I'll be taking some pictures with my
50/f512 in the near future.  Yes, they're really
fuzzy because of the diffraction, thanks for
asking.  Does anybody have a color film advise
for me ?  I'd like to use Sensia, but I don't
know if the film can take it.

Peter.

=====
--