Re: [OM] Help! is my T32 broken.

Subject: Re: [OM] Help! is my T32 broken.
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:21:54 -0500
Well, I thought the group had lost interest, and I decided for myself  that
I wasn't making any significant mistakes using it. I figured I had 2 options,
1) return the unit, 2) look inside for a simple problem (e.g. loose wire).

I wasn't looking forward to returning the unit, as it meant paying for shipping,
eating the $30 customs fee, and waiting (it took 20 days from winning on Ebay to
actual delivery,) and then I would start all over again (no T32).

I thought getting it serviced by a camera shop would cost as or almost as much
as the thing itself ($111), and even then could fail for lack of parts.

So I took the risk, used R. Lee Hawkin's incredible Olympus FAQ,
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml
to get directions to open the beastie, and opened it up.

It turned out to be full of corrosion from leaked batteries. One of the
power leads was corroded out through its entire length, (4") right from
the battery terminal to to the circuit board. If I had looked at it closely
with a magnifier, I would have noticed corrosion coming through on one
of the auto-cord conector pins.

Anyways, after scraping off the corrosion, there were 4 wires ruined
and disconnected by corrosion. I've replaced one, don't know where two
others go, and don't know how to attach copper wire to the stainless steel
battery and other contacts.

So, now with a pile of parts in a jar, I have to get back to paying work,
and see what the vendor has to say. I figure I have a 30hance of
getting some satisfaction from the vendor, and 30hance of fixing
it myself. Does that equal a 60hance of having a working flash? <g>
Wish me luck!

- Parzival