Re: [OM] OT crappie & more OT

Subject: Re: [OM] OT crappie & more OT
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:06:06 -0700
Mike W. wrote:
The eating fish of the South is CATFISH, by damn. There's a catfish restaurant on every other corner.

True, but catfish are FAR more common than crappie, a true delicacy.  I
don?t think I?ve ever seen crappie on a menu.  However, catfish too are
superior to salmon, and my catfish/lawyer joke shouldn?t be construed in
any way as disparaging of such fine fare.  On a trip just last month
driving from Atlanta to Houston, we stopped overnight in Hammond,
Louisiana, and for dinner had the best catfish I?ve ever tasted.  We
stopped at the same restaurant on the way back.  Great fish, but still not
crappie.

And, yes, some geographically impoverished people pronounce "pecan" like
it?s something kept by the bed and emptied in the morning.  Really
disgusting.

Walt

Actually, I think the division is between people who like fish and people who like fried crust. If you really have a taste for salty, greasy, crunchy cornmeal you will prefer catfish to salmon. Says more about the palate than the taste of the fish. :-)

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California