[OM] 16mm f/3.5 versions. L39(UV) and NEUTRAL filter positions.

Subject: [OM] 16mm f/3.5 versions. L39(UV) and NEUTRAL filter positions.
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:05:46 EDT
Hello,
Now a perhaps more relevant question than my silvernose comment!

On my 'old' 16/3.5, the 3 filters are L39(UV), Y48(Y2) and O56(O2). This is
the same as on Tom's silvernose and the same as the versions in my UK OM
brochures for the OM-2N and Zuiko Lens Group from about 1982-83. [The 8mm/2.8
fisheye also has these, plus an R60(Red) filter.]

I noticed in the OM-4 brochure, the 16/3.5 has a NEUTRAL filter labelled
instead of the L39(UV). [But they hadn't changed it on the 8mm fisheye in the
picture. However, in the OM-4Ti brochure (1989-90), the 8mm fisheye also had
a NEUTRAL filter.

Questions:
Why did the fisheyes have n internal UV filter by default (ie you can't opt
out of it and have NO Filter) in the first place? Because of better meter
accuracy?

What is the NEUTRAL filter? Surely they dont mean a neutral density; that
would be pointless unless you could also have a NO FILTER position too. Or is
the NEUTRAL position itself just a NO FILTER position?

Any shared expertise appreciated.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/