Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135

Subject: Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 04:48:28 -0700

No doubt all true, but in real life I don't see a problem. If you're shooting wide open then you by definition are most likely looking to shorten the depth of field (speed's rarely an issue with apertures in mind--at least for working photographers within my experience--it has a lot to do with what happens in the lab, but that's something else) and so your subject isn't likely to be on the periphery of your view area, and if you're stopped down then it's likely the increased DOF will take care of these details whether you can seem them clearly or not. For all intents and purposes I just don't see an issue. Tests are one thing, work out in the field another. Now I use your data (well, I peruse it, and thank you very much) to draw pictures in my mind of gear I might never lay my hands on, probably will never lay hands on with the big stuff in mind, but I can't bring myself to believe that any bench work could ever be truly indicative of how camera gear behaves "out there." When I go to shoot I think a whole lot more about the film I'm taking vis-a-vis the light I expect to have and whether my subject will be moving or still than I do about my lenses at all, and peripheral field of view is something I've never given a serious thought for quarter of a century.

We're strapping the butterfly to the wheel here, gentleman.

Tris