Re: [OM] American Le Mans Series sportscars last weekend

Subject: Re: [OM] American Le Mans Series sportscars last weekend
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:46:17 -0700
On 7/26/2001 Steve Goss <steveg3@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< Ooh- those low flying cars are neat. >>

Thank you! There is a hidden dip at that portion of the track that
unloads the cars and gets some of them airborn (and causes fits for the
suspension engineers who are striving to keep the cars stuck to the
track). Due to better than ever access at that location combined with
more air than usual there are a lot of shots I am seeing from there of
flying cars. It was fun but challenging. The flight was over in the
blink of an eye and from what I heard around me most were blasting off
quite a few wunderbrick frames at a time trying to catch them. I
probably didn't get as many shooting one frame at a time with my OMs,
but enjoyed the challenge and the results are more satisfying for me.

<< Also, on some of the pictures toward the end have a "dark" (really
saturated)
sky. These looked like they were taken with a wide angle lens of some
sort, if
not the 16. Did you also use a polarize? If not, how did you keep the
sky from
getting blown out? >>

Yes, those are with the 16/3.5. No, I don't normally use any filters of
any kind. On the 16 you have the dial-in type internal filters (I
noticed about half way through the first day I was playing with
it-doh!). I left it on the UV position. Metering was AE with a single
spot stored off of a driver's face. In other words I let the magic of
the OM-4T metering system pretty much take care of things for me as I
normally do (with both the -4T and -2S). Thank Provia F for some of the
saturation as well.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com