[OM] Odd question, nothing to do with Olympus...

Subject: [OM] Odd question, nothing to do with Olympus...
From: Martin Evans <mcemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:36:03 +0100
Cc: Chris Charlton <c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx>
On 21 Jul 2001 23:20:26 -0000, Chris Charlton <c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an odd question for you folks out there, does
>anyone know anything about importing cars from another
>country to the US? I am English but I'm afraid (not to
>offend our American friends) your cars stink. With a
>bit of luck on Monday I should have a job in Boston
>and I'd like to import a car from England to use
>there, preferably a Lotus Elise. Does anyone have any
>idea whether this would be possible? Presumably I
>won't have to crash test it, but it may have to pass
>certain emission laws? I don't know, your comments are
>appreciated.

Yes you can import an Elise, several of the listers on
lotus-cars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx have brought cars in.

Numerous methods are available, and what you'll have is infinitely
better engineered than any American car.

Just think, you can have a car that will do 45mpg (Imperial), 125mph,
0-60 in 6 seconds, a brilliant ride, communicative steering, peerless
brakes.....and all from 1800 cc (which is remarkably only 110 cubic
inches)

Oh ,and your emissions will be low too and so you'll be doing your bit
to fight global warming...so less chance of those yanks baring their
ass to the world and asking for a kiss ;-)

One big problem though, Boston, in the winter is NOT the place for an
Elise....and maybe another one .....no cup holders!!!

For those that doubt the quality of the engineering on this British
car, just try and find a picture of the pedals from an Elise, truly
brilliant engineering, as is the rest of the car, certainly Mr.
Maitani would have approved.

Martin

Olympus since 1980, Lotus since 1981