Re: [OM] Odd question, nothing to do with Olympus...

Subject: Re: [OM] Odd question, nothing to do with Olympus...
From: Chris Charlton <c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:15:13 +0100 (BST)
Quite an achievement, but I believe you're missing
> the fact that the US DOES
> make some fine cars.  For example, the Corvette
> regularly gets about 33 mpg
> (Imperial gallons), not too shabby, since a stock
> Corvette can reach 0-60 in
> 4.7 and the Z06 (same mileage) in 4 seconds flat.
> Both are low emissions
> vehicles meeting 50 state requirements.  Yes, every
> Corvette delivered meets
> California's stringent requirements.

I have to disagree with you, yes on paper lots of cars
can match the numbers, but when it comes down to
driving pleasure, very few cars touch the Elise at any
price. 1 example is steering, the Elise has delicious
feedback through its 2.5 turns lock to lock unassisted
steering setup. Its razor sharp like a race car and
something a heavy front engined car with power
assistance could never match.
Its one of a number of features that come down to
design philosophy, its VERY uncompromising, something
an American manufacturer would never do, afraid that
its buyers would miss all the toys and strain their
arms with heavy steering and complain about the engine
noise. A heavy car with a powerful engine (therefore
making it fast) a sports car does not make....

Chris

P.S. If you have a Caterham 7 dealer near you, have a
test drive in one of their cars (its a close match to
the Elise) you will better understand what I mean,
they are even more uncompromising, the Superlight
weighs 1000lbs with 200hp....(you do the math)