Re: [OM] (OM) ~~ opinions on slide film to capture blues, glaciers, etc

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) ~~ opinions on slide film to capture blues, glaciers, etc.
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:20:30 -0600
At 06:07 PM 7/27/2001 +0000, James Olson wrote:
>I am going to be spending 5 days around glaciers, where blues, whites and
>greens will be the dominant colors.  i usually use kodachrome 200 for earth
>tones and journalism, and velvia for landscapes.... (i find velvia to be
>overly saturated at times....) but i'm looking for something a little
>different this time...
>
>does anyone have experience with the fuji and kodak 100 speed slide films in
>any similar situations?  or just opinions on slide films you enjoy in this
>speed area...

Fuji Astia.  A 100 speed slide film.  I *really* like it, if colour accuracy
and zero "punching up" is what I'm after.  You can always turn the saturation
up afterwards in Photoshop (assuming you're going that route).  However, if you
*want* to punch up the blues, Velvia's a good choice (albeit slower -- ASA 50,
if memory serves, though it can be push-processed to 100).  You can read up on
the various Fuji offerings here:

http://www.fujifilm.com

Select "Our Products," "Commercial/Professional Film" and then "Professional
Color Reversal Film" to read up about the various types on offer.

Here's a couple of shots I did with Velvia in the Canadian Rockies between
Jasper and Banff a couple of years ago -- the first one's with a polarizer, the
second without:

http://www.enable.org/~gallery/subpages/wood/athabasca01.html

http://www.enable.org/~gallery/subpages/wood/pinnacle.html

Absolutely gob-smacked when I got the trannies back.  The Athabasca Glacier one
seems almost Martian or lunar to me.  Loved it!

Garth