[OM] Question about a varimagni finder.

Subject: [OM] Question about a varimagni finder.
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:08:49 -0500
Another recent ebay purchase: a Varimagni finder, LNIB, $102.

The T32 was a disappointment, but that same day the varimagni
arrived, it seemed a compensation, completely untouched, but...

I find that the diopter adjustment to see clearly at 1.2x magnification
is quite different from that to see at 2.5x magnification, so I have to
fiddle with the diopter setting when changing magnifications. This
seems odd.

In addition, with the diopter adjustment on the OM4 at my personal
optimum (somewhere mid range), the Varimagni, to be seen clearly,
needs to be set at an extreme.

So I took a closer look: At the camera viewfinder end, at the 2.5x
magnification setting, I see a large centered aperture, but at the
1.2x setting, I see a smaller aperture, distinctly off center. The full
aperture shows, but one side is in contact with the viewfinder opening,
and the other side of the aperture is 25% away from the edge of the
v.f. opening.

Is this normal? Does anyone out there have a known working specimen,
and can check this?

Thanks,
    Parzival