Re: [OM] Odd question, nothing to do with Olympus...

Subject: Re: [OM] Odd question, nothing to do with Olympus...
From: Chris Charlton <c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:29:19 +0100 (BST)
 --- Tom Scales <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Never
driven one, have you.  I agree they are
> completely different cars, but
> I believe you're slamming a car with which you have
> no experience.  When you
> make it over to the US, if you find yourself down my
> way, you can go for a
> nice long drive.  You'll learn, I believe, that they
> are different, but both
> amazing vehicles.
>
> This is just like, say, an OM owner saying that a
> Nikon is Bad because it
> has more features.  Not bad, just different.
<snip>

I am already in the US (CA at present) but let me make
the point that more features=more weight?, I have
driven hundreds of different cars (being the son of a
Ford production manager) and although a couple have
surprised me, most drive and feel just like I expected
them to. To look at it from a Europeans point of view
(importing cars which is what this is all about):-

Imagine you had just emigrated from Europe (for
example) and you had a decent size OM kit, but when
you arrived in the USA a suit with a badge told you
that you weren't allowed to own that because of
"safety" regulations, and you either had to export it
or it would be crushed (this is what happens to
foreign cars they don't like), and you would have to
buy homegrown American equipment.
Other countries have strict safety regulations that in
some cases are more strict than the US.
We (in the UK) used to "protect" our car plants from
foreigners in the 70'/80's but eventually they come in
their droves (ie the Japanese for one) and home grown
auto companies struggle to survive, it happened in
England and it would be a shame if it happened here
too (US), one way or another markets for products are
getting more and more global, and nothing will stop
it.

Chris (who will now get off his politians soap box...
:-) )