Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135

Subject: Re: [OM] another philosophical question about the 135
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:35:40 -0700
In a message dated 7/27/2001 Tris Schuler
[mailto:tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] writes:

<< No one here argues against lens quality. The more the better, of
course. But
the quality of the lens for any given picture is just not much of an
issue.
Take that shot of yours of those beasts in the field.  Nice shot. It
could,
however, been rendered by a hundred different lenses on the market,
past,
present and future, and no, you would not be able to pluck your Zuiko
sample
from that. And neither would I be able to.

That's the reality.

Lenses are nice to talk about and drool over. Other things being equal a
superior lens will give you a slightly improved image. Telling that
difference afterward is problematic. So what does this all want to say
about
the importance of lenses in the greater scheme of things? I don't know,
exactly, but I do know there are dynamics at work in photographer much
more
pressing than glass. >>

In many cases from moderate wide angle to short telephoto I can somewhat
agree. When it comes to long fast sports glass I can't agree with this.
Sure, if you compare results from a C*non 400 2.8 vs the same Nikk*r vs.
a Zuiko 350 2.8 the differences, if any, will be very subtle.

In my own experience I know for a fact that since upgrading to the
combination of lenses I presently use (Tamron SP 80-200 2.8 LD, Zuiko
350/2.8, Zuiko 1.4XA converter) that my results have improved very
noticably. Previously I used mostly a Tamron SP 60-300, Tamron 70-350
4.5 for a little while, and a few Zuiko primes. The difference is vastly
more than "slight" in my experience.

Agreed that "the reality" is that the person operating the "tools" can
either see what they are trying to capture and know how to use the tools
to get that vision, or not, but the quality of the "tools" does matter
as well.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com

Photographers have always made great photographs in spite of the equipment. A lens can be a talisman, or permission for you to take good pictures since you have paid the price.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California