Re: [OM] Photographing People

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing People
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:23:56 +0000
At 21:11 7/27/01, John Prosper wrote (in part):
I sometimes walk around with camera in hand and at my side until the "decisive moment" approaches (obviously, the Henri Cartier-Bresson approach) then quickly raise the camera and snap the shutter in one smooth flow of action. Clearly, this requires practice for optimal results. I have also used wide angle lenses to snap photos with the camera in hand at my side.

John

This is pretty much the method I employ, but usually with the 35-105mm, 50mm, 85mm, or 135mm to allow a little stand-off distance. Just did it early this morning to photograph a boy fishing on the bank of a local reservoir. I was already there photographing a fishing tournament using the 300mm. He and his father set up after I was already there and the boy definitely noticed me ("Dad, there's a guy over there taking pictures!").

When finished with the tournament shots on the reservoir, I looked in their direction. At the right angle the boy was nicely framed, so I put on the 135mm/2.8, pre-focused and set the aperture. Kept an eye out for an opportune moment and slowly slipped around to the desired composition. When he was engrossed with casting and reeling, turned, pulled the camera to my eye and shot it. It was over in about a second, not counting the planning for it that occured over several minutes prior to the shot. IMO, that's what makes them successful; spotting the opportunity developing and planning it beforehand (along with a little practice at it).

-- John