Re: [OM] OT : I take exception (Was Off Topic Posts are drowning out con

Subject: Re: [OM] OT : I take exception (Was Off Topic Posts are drowning out content)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:20:14 EDT
In a message dated 7/28/01 9:42:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> This is
>  supposed to be a list about OM photographic equipment and its use,
>  not a list about fish, cars, Fedex and UPS, etc.

I take exception to the last part of that rant, Mike.  As I am still buying
and shipping OM equipment to and from various parts of the U.S. and Canada,
to John H. (Camtech) and others, I'm VERY interested in the pros and cons of
all the major postal, customs, and parcel services.  Shipping & receiving
equipment is a major part of the OM lifestyle for many of us.

It's very clear from following this list for more than a month or so that
John Hermanson has a stellar reputation as an Olympus technician and
businessman.  However, getting your OM gear TO and FROM him may be another
matter entirely.  So far, what I've experienced with UPS and the U.S. Postal
Service and read on the list confirms my belief that the U.S. Postal Service,
and Canada Post, is still the best possible method of shipping parcels around
the U.S. and Canada.  Provided you insure.

Although discussing shippers may seem off-topic, these discussions are of
interest to many of us, not just the "Tom Scales" OMers who ship/receive on a
grand scale (no pun intended).

I have only one OM-1n, and only one OM-2n, each recently purchased,
beautiful, and in need of CLA, battery conversion, foam, etc..  I can't tell
you how upset I'd be if either were lost or damaged enroute to and from a
servicing.  They're going U.S. Postal Service, insured, thanks to my own
experience AND the ongoing discussions of shippers that have taken place on
the list of late.

Yes, the other off-topic posts get a little much at times (and I am guilty of
contributing my share -- I try to keep it down), but as others have
mentioned, they add color and help me get to know the other list members.  It
would be a dry list to read if it contained ONLY photographic content 1000f
the time.  Delete what doesn't pique your interest.

Rich (make mine fresh-caught -- any species)