Re: [OM] [OT] Getting pysched...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Getting pysched...
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 01:46:18 -0700
Good advice. And there's no lack of photo opportunities--we only need to see these opportunities.

I live next to the opera. Actually, I live more next to the Ballet Association facility, which is next door to Inn at the Opera, a small hotel which caters to Opera and Ballet clientele and rich people--the opera building itself stands across the street.

Anyway, this hotel (facing north) sports its name running up along the front edge of its east-facing brick wall. The colors are subdued gray and blue and tan and at night its affect of color and texture intrigues me. Now I've walked past that wall so many times I can't say--every time I take Beamer (my German shepherd) to the park across the street that lies between the opera and Herbst Theatre. I finally noticed this photograph-waiting-to-be-taken maybe a month ago. I snapped off a few quick shots hand held just to have a reference. The big obstacle is a street light, which wouldn't obstruct the camera's view but would add light I don't want (and the wrong kind of light at that) to the picture. I'm still puzzling over this one. When I eventually take a tripod outside and snap some test frames I'll do so with and without filters, study the proofs, then go from there. I view this as a problem in photography as much as a quest for the photograph itself, and an appropriate one for a photographer like me as I don't do a lot of studied work, and not often off tripods, so the intellectual demands of this will force me to think in terms of dynamics I usually blow off--and happily so, I readily admit! <g>

I also took a few minutes off earlier this evening to walk around the southeastern corner of the green area which abuts the Palace of Fine Arts. Discovered a dandy place to set up a tripod for yet another available-light study. This shot will be a relative piece of cake, as no intrusive source of lighting exists--at least not in the same obnoxious form as with the hotel. I'll probably take this picture with and without a color conversion filter as well; the building is partially lit at night from the inside, so the effect is one of reflected light off plaster surface to the observer. Now I should probably determine just what kind of light that is, and I wonder if I'll bother. <g>

I rarely go this trouble. Must be the mood I'm in these days. As a rule I see and click away and choose from what I've taken a keeper or two. Or one. Or none, sometimes. Film wastage means nothing to me. But the thing is I've sworn that this summer I'm going to spend time up on a tripod at night and do something serious with that damned sun down. I just love the quiet beauty of the night, and if I could ever manage to somehow translate that love of mine for these peaceful rhythms I connect wit out there then I like to think that someone somewhere might be better off for the experience.

Tris